Friday, January 30, 2009

Oh, What a Week!

 

 

 

 

We started out this week a little slow. On Monday, Ava and I woke up with colds. My cold progressed or digressed, depending on how you look at it, into the flu. I still can't decide if this was a good week to be stuck at home sick or not, but that is what happened. We received 10 inches of snow on Tuesday night, so school was cancelled on Wednesday. This was the first big snowfall of the winter. (Really the only snowfall except for a couple of inches two other other times). It was a beautiful sunny day (rare here, usually it is overcast), 28 degrees, and no wind. Elsa and Ava had so much fun playing outside in the snow with their friends. I was a little jealous, but in no condition to be outside in the snow. I stayed indoors fretting about how I was going to get all the snow off of my driveway to make it to the grocery store and to school the next day. The snow plows had come through and pushed the snow from the street so that it was a good 2-3 feet high at the end of our driveway. Early afternoon, I heard a snow blower out front. It was our next door neighbor, Alan, clearing the driveway. After he cleared the driveway, he shoveled all the snow off of our front porch. Thank goodness for good neighbors. I was so grateful for this kind act of service. Have I mentioned before how much I love my neighborhood? Well, I do! Anyway, we are wimps here because school was on a two-hour delay for Thursday and Friday, which meant that AM kindergarten was cancelled. Elsa has been so antsy being home bound for most of the week. Ava still had preschool, which was a nice outlet for her.

Our big news of the week, Elsa lost her first tooth on Wednesday. She came in from outside and said, "Look at my loose tooth." She could bend it all the way forward and backward. I asked to look at it and pulled it out with a paper towel. Before she could object, I had the tooth in hand. Elsa thought I broke her tooth because she was surprised by how small it was. She has been waiting a long time to lose a tooth. Our girls are late bloomers when it comes to getting teeth and losing them. Elsa has been so excited and has told each person she sees. Her other front bottom tooth is loose too, so it won't be long until she loses that one too. She was thrilled to have the tooth fairy come last night. (We had to hide her tooth on Wednesday night so the tooth fairy wouldn't take it. Brian wanted to be able to see her tooth and share in the excitement.) Ava was so excited for Elsa and the tooth fairy that she begged to sleep next to Elsa in her twin bed. Ava was more excited for the tooth fairy than she was for Christmas. At first they started out fine, but by 2am they were fighting over space. Brian moved Ava to her bed, which resulted in a lot of crying and panic that she would miss the tooth fairy. She woke up again at 4am screaming "Who moved me to my bed?" It took almost thirty minutes to get her calmed down again. She repeatedly said, "But now our plan won't work." I finally spent the rest of the night or morning laying next to her in her own bed. I moved back into my bed at 7:30, just in time for Elsa to wake up and come running in with her good news that the tooth fairy came. When I asked what her plan was with Ava, she said, "Oh, Ava wanted to stay awake and catch the tooth fairy. She wanted to put her in my pocket and then smash her." Great! My daughter wants to assassinate the tooth fairy. When I asked Ava about it, she said, "But Mom, there are lots of tooth fairies." She didn't quite think of the logic if she killed one of their friends...is this the equivalent of killing ants???

Now we are looking forward to a Saturday with Brian home. He will surely take advantage of the snow and have the girls outside building forts and making snowmen. He usually shovels a large patch of snow off the lake behind our house and ice skates while pulling the girls behind him on a sled. They love it. He has so much more energy that I do! We hope you're all enjoying winter.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Thayer said...

Congratulations to Elsa for losing her first tooth, Gabe lost his first one this week too - it just proves they really are meant to be :) That is so funny that Ava wanted to trap the tooth fairy!

Sarah Lopez said...

I enjoyed your testimony on Sunday! I love good neighbors too. My neighbor helped me with our driveway that morning as well and I took all the credit when Jay got home...I did eventually tell the truth! :)

Ava is so cute. You're girls are a joy in primary. They are the best singers!!

Mindy said...

Loved seeing Brian this weekend. I laughed out loud about Ava smashing the tooth fairy.