Monday, January 12, 2009

Asian Hot Pot

We got a fondue pot for Christmas. In effort to reduce the cost per use (Brian's thinking of course), we've been using our fondue pot at least twice a week. Brian found this recipe, and it is a new family favorite. The girls will eat the meat and some of the vegetables too. If you have any great fondue recipes (kid friendly) please pass along.
Broth:
5 cups Beef Broth
2 green onions
2 garlic cloves (chopped)
About 5 Shitake mushrooms (stems removed, tops sliced)
2 tbs Cilantro (chopped)
2 tbs Ginger root (minced)
2 tbs Soy sauce (I use low-sodium)

Vegetable/Meat Platter:
8 Bok Choy leaves (washed and bottoms removed)
Spinach leaves
1 8 oz. can Bamboo shoots (drained)
2 green onions (chopped)
1 cup Broccoli Florets
4 oz. Shitake mushrooms (stems removed)
4 oz. Egg Noodles (cooked)
1 lb. Beef Tenderloin or Flank Steak (cut into small cubes or thin slices)

Arrange vegetable platter before guests arrive.
Bring beef broth to a boil; add green onions, garlic, mushrooms, cilantro, ginger, and soy sauce
Simmer broth for 15 minutes.
Spear beef strips with fondue forks and cook in broth for 3-5 minutes.
Spear vegetable strips and cook until tender.
Dip cooked beef and vegetables into desired sauces.

When all the meat has been eaten:
Add remaining vegetables and the 4 oz. cooked Egg noodles to broth.
Simmer about 5 minutes.
Serve portion to each guest in a bowl.

Tip: Wait to cook Egg Noodles until you are almost finished with meat. Otherwise, they get mushy.

Sesame Sauce:
2 tbs White Sesame seeds (brown in frying pan or skillet)
1/3 cup Soy sauce
2 tbs Green Onion (chopped)
1 tbs Cider Vinegar
2 tsp Ginger root (finely chopped)
1 tsp water

In food processor, chop browned sesame seeds and a few drops of soy. Mix until it is a thick paste. (We skipped this process, I just chopped and smashed the sesame seeds.) Add rest of ingredients and mix. (This was our favorite dip.)

Spicy Oriental Sauce:
2 tbs Soy Sauce
1/5 tbs Lemon juice
2 Green chili peppers (chopped)
1 clove garlic
2 tsp Sesame oil

Add all ingredients and mix. (This is very spicy. Add remaining sauce to the noodles in the beef broth if you like it HOT!)

Other sauces - we purchased from store:
Plum Sauce
Hoisin sauce
Soy Wasabi sauce

1 comment:

Amelia Hohl said...

Yum! I made this the other week for my Asian Food Extravaganza and it was delicious. I'm doing it again for Chinese New Year on Monday and I can't wait to try your recipes for the dipping sauce and hot pot sauce. The recipes I found on line just told me to do whatever I felt like doing which wasn't helping. Also, I cut up so many vegetables that I had hot pot for lunch for an entire week and since it doesn't take much to boil something in my electric wok it was a very easy lunch and so healthy. I'm going to keep it up as long as I can. Do you have a cheap Asian market close to you? The vegetables are always so much cheaper there than at the supermarket.