Monday, August 25, 2008

Funny Story

One afternoon last week I was asking Elsa about school, her classmates, and her teacher. (The week prior to this, I met with her teacher who recently moved here and is new to the school. She was telling all the parents that since most of her house is still in boxes, she was having difficulty locating items like a hair dryer, clothes, etc.) Anyway, Elsa said, "Mom, guess what? My teacher hasn't been wearing any underwear." I was more than surprised by this revelation. When I asked how she knew this, she said, "My teacher moved here almost two years ago (she meant weeks). She couldn't find her box with their clothes. So...she hasn't been wearing her underwear. Isn't that funny?" It was funny...Elsa's deduction that is. I assured Elsa that her teacher probably went out and bought new underwear if she couldn't find her box of underwear. Elsa has been very inquisitive about our pending move. She will randomly ask me if we'll bring things like ceiling fans or lamps or will ask about food items or flowers/plants from outside. I have assured her that she will still have all of her things - her furniture, toys, clothes, etc. She is sorting all of this out in her mind. I hope she doesn't get paranoid about not having any underwear when we move.

When I picked Elsa up from school, I told her teacher that Elsa came home from school last week and told me that her teacher didn't wear underwear. Her face went red and she put her hands behind her back and said, "Oh my." Then she laughed and said, "Oh no. I told the kids that I couldn't find my clothes since they were all in boxes from my move." She laughed and then proceeded to tell me that on the first day of school, she said to Elsa, "Now you go home and tell your mom that I love your name. You are the only person in the whole school with the name Elsa." She told me right after she said this Elsa got up from her table and went out the door. How is that for being obedient? If only I could get the same response when I have requests.

2 comments:

Cecily said...

Moving? Where are you going? Three years is quite a while in one place . . . :)

Heather Parry said...

Natalie - I love the blog. You're doing a great job with it. I second Cecily's question...Where are you moving? Heather