Saturday, August 29, 2009

First Day of School

 
Elsa and Ava in front of the house.
 
Elsa in the school courtyard, waiting for the bell to ring.
 
Ava in front on the kindergarten play courtyard.
Ava with her best friend Callie. It is a bummer that they aren't in the same class, but they are right next to each other, have the same recesses, and eat lunch together.
 
Elsa sitting at her desk. She is front and center. This will suit her aim-to-please personality.

Elsa and Ava started school on Thursday. The night before didn't turn out as planned. We were going to go out to dinner, but were delayed waiting for the exterminator. Instead, we had cold cereal for dinner because I hadn't made it to the grocery store. They each got a new book. Ava got "Miss Bingergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten" and Elsa got, "Junie B., First Grader, Toothless Wonder." They were nervous and excited for school the next morning. The picked out what they wanted to wear to next day, and then we tucked them into bed. Elsa came and got into our bed at 6am because she was so excited. She fell back asleep, which was good. She needed her energy. Ava had a hard time waking up. (She is my child that can sleep until 10am consistently.) She had a tear-stained face when I went to get her out of bed. When I asked her how she slept, she told me that she had a nightmare. She said that someone was trying to take her away from me. It gave me a little comfort to know that she still loves me so much, but I was sad to think that she was a little tramatized by the kindergarten experience. Brian made them their favorite breakfasts - Elsa, cream of wheat; Ava, oatmeal. I did their hair and afterwards only had a minute to take pictures. Then we all raced off to school. They don't bus here, and we are too far to walk. So each day I act as a transport service. Ava has full day kindergarten, but it gets out one hour earlier than the other grades. So I pick Ava up at 1:30, and then return to get Elsa at 2:30. I manage to squeeze a nap in for Greta in the morning. Kind of crazy right now. I'm sure we'll settle into this routine in no time.

When I picked the girls up from school they both enjoyed their days. Elsa was a little more apprehensive about friends. Ava seemed to do just well in class and made a new friend. It was the next day that broke my heart. When I picked Ava up, Elsa was waiting by the fence to see us. She came out and gave me a big hug with tears in her eyes. Ava's friend Callie told me that Elsa sat under a tree during morning recess with her head in her lap. A couple of girls in Elsa's class told her that she couldn't play with them. This devasted her. Me too. Brian and I have talked to her about some ways she can meet and make new friends. I hope these tips help her on Monday. As of now, I just want to keep her home with me. I miss them during the day!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Robinson Family said...

That is so hard when kids come home upset. It must have been difficult sending Ava to full day kindergarten too. I have no doubt your girls will make friends soon and enjoy the year. I also have to second that ants are awful. Especially if they're taking over your whole house. We had a problem when we first moved in. Thankfully, since then, it's been better. Good luck with everything. I hope your life settles down. We miss you guys!

merathon said...

broke my heart when i read that about elsa. she is such a sweet girl that i can't imagine anyone not wanting to play with her! little girls can be so cruel. let's hope those tips helped!