Friday, September 10, 2010

Happy Birthday ELSA!

On Elsa's birthday, Brian was out of town and wasn't going to make it back home until 1am. We had told Elsa that we would celebrate her birthday on Saturday so that her dad could be there. Elsa was so excited for cake and presents, and asked if we could have a "small" party without Dad. Then we could have a big celebration the next day. What she didn't know was that Brian was able to get an earlier flight and would be home around 8pm. I told Elsa we could have cake, and she could open one present. That was a good enough compromise, although I could tell she was disappointed about waiting.
Since I wasn't expecting Brian to be home, I quickly decorated for her "small" party with balloons, party horns, and other decorations, which was a little confusing for her. Brian was delayed with traffic, so I made excuses about the cake not being cold enough. When Brian called to say he was outside, I turned out the lights and lit the candles. As we sang "Happy Birthday," Brian walked in the door singing too! Elsa was so surprised and SO EXCITED. It turned out to be a big birthday celebration after all.
Elsa requested an Oreo birthday cake. She enjoyed helping me make it, and really enjoyed eating it.
I still can't believe Elsa is 8 years-old. She has anxiously awaited for her birthday for many reasons. First, to be baptized; Second, she's been waiting for birthday money from her grandparents to buy an American Girl doll carrier; and third, to get her ears pierced. She's only accomplished #2. I am excited for her to now be in activity days with church because I am the leader. I will love spending this time with Elsa.

After ice cream cake, Elsa opened her presents. She didn't have many because we bought her a beach cruiser bike in July as an early birthday present. (We wanted her to be able to enjoy it over the summer.) We gave Elsa AG Elizabeth's holiday cloak and pajamas. Elsa also picked out birthstone earrings for Elizabeth, in hopes of them matching her own, once she gets her ears pierced.
Elsa pooled her birthday money and purchased the AG doll carrier. She is so excited about it. It is all she has talked about for months. She gave us a demonstration showing all of its different functions.
Elsa and Ava have started collecting puzzle erasers. Elsa received a few for her birthday. I think Ava and Greta were equally excited. (Bargain tip: Costco has these in a 50 count package in the holiday toy section for $15. These are great add-ons for birthday presents and stocking stuffers.)
Ever since Ava received the AG dog, Ginger, for her birthday, Elsa has been begging for a pet for her AG doll. (Bargain tip: Borders sells thes AG pets with a craft kit included. If you sign up for Borders Rewards, you get weekly or bi-weekly coupons for 33%-40% any item. This is a great way to save money on AG products. And Borders also sells lots of crafts and toys. I now buy birthday presents for the girls' friends with these coupons. I love them!)

Elsa is going to have a friend birthday party, but it will be in October. Since school just started, this gives her some time to get to know the other kids in her class. Plus, Brian has been travelling a lot. With school, soccer, swimming, activity days, when do you plan a party? It is coming...

I hope Elsa felt cherished and loved on her birthday. Happy Birthday Sweetheart!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: