16 years ago
Saturday, February 20, 2010
Hiking with Aunt Melissa
Thank goodness for sisters (sister-in-law and aunt). During my appointment with the fetal surgeon on Tuesday, Feb. 16th, the ultrasound showed that my cervix was thinning due to all the excess amniotic fluid (a condition of our baby's hydrops.) I had gained 30 lbs. in the last two months mostly due to amniotic fluid. So, I was scheduled to have an amnio reduction the following Tuesday and was put on bed rest until the surgery. Brian had plans to be out-of-town for the weekend for a wedding and work, so Aunt Melissa (Brian's sister) flew in to help out with the girls. She was a huge relief. She took the girls hiking, played games with them, baked cookies (their favorite activity), and snuggled them. (Bed rest isn't quite as good as it sounds...at least after the first few hours.) Elsa and Ava enjoyed showing Melissa our favorite hike (short and steep) and Greta started calling her "Mama." Should I feel badly??? She also made meals, did piles of laundry (meticulously spotting as I would), and cleaned the house. I enjoyed having her company and kept her up way too late a couple of nights babbling. Melissa is very compassionate and insightful. I was grateful for her words of wisdom and help. We all appreciated her sacrifice and thank her family for sharing her with us. She was a great comfort during such a difficult time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment