Saturday, May 28, 2011

Ava's Birthday - She is 7!

May is a birthday month for us. It is fun, but a little chaotic too, especially when there are end-of-year activities, parties, and Memorial Day weekend. This was a fun year because both Greta's and Ava's birthday were on weekend days, so we could have their parties on their actual birthdays. It made it extra special.
Ava woke up and snuggled in bed with me. She asked if she could have breakfast in bed, so Brian made her breakfast and brought it to her. She felt special and so grown-up.
Ava decided she wanted a garden party. Her first idea was to spend the time catching frogs and bugs, but I was pretty sure that a lot of the girls wouldn't care for frogs like Elsa and Ava do. So we steered it towards a Garden Tea party with crafts. (Frogs were still caught.) Here Ava is with her friends, Rachel and Carolina.
I stayed up until 3am finishing the party favors, flower barrettes, and spent a couple of hours making the tissue paper flowers for decorations. Ava was really excited about all of it, so it was worth it. Right???
Brandon and Whitney were in town visiting. Whitney helped me with the final preparations, which was so helpful. We had our flower tea sandwiches, fruit, and flower sugar cookies.
Ava is such a happy joyous person. She and her friends are always laughing about silly things, which is what 7 years-old do, I guess. One friend, Abby, wrote on her birthday card "Octopustudium. Happy Birthday Ava!" Ava read it out loud and started laughing. I wasn't sure what was so funny. Ava told me that it is just a silly word that Abby always whispers in her ear to make her laugh. And it does! Now it makes me laugh, just because it is sweet and innocent and silly.
The girls painted birdhouses and made plaster garden stones. We have no pictures of the garden stones because it was pure chaos mixing the plaster before it set in the hot sun. We had mosaic tiles and cut glass to make designs in the plaster. Some turned out, some didn't. Plaster was all over. Thankfully, it was outside so we could just hose down tablecloths, patio, and girls!
It is tradition for me to make a special cake for each of the children's birthdays. I had big plans to make a flower cake, but when Ava asked for a Costco one, I was more than pleased. Plus, they are so so good. Much better tasting than the cakes I make.
This is the wild bunch (some a lot wilder than others). I am grateful that Ava has a great group of friends.

No comments: