Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Moment of Silence for Veterans


Elsa had a Veteran's Day Program at her school this morning. I was reluctant to go since we've all had colds and Greta has been fussy. I told myself that if Greta was asleep then I'd stay home. Well, she wasn't sleeping. I got to the school just as the flag ceremony was starting. We all said the Pledge of Allegiance and then the program started. As soon as the group of people crowded into the auditorium, Greta started screaming. I couldn't tell if she was tired or just overwhelmed by the noise and people. I spent the better part of the program sitting outside the auditorium on a cafeteria bench. I missed Elsa's singing part (which was only thirty seconds) while trying to console Greta. I stayed in hopes to see Elsa and "make my appearance." However, as I sat and listened to the historical accounts, patriotic declarations and songs, I was teary-eyed. At the end of the program each grade sang an emblematic theme song for each of the military branches - Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Those men and women who have served our country stood as we honored them. (Go to http://www.brownielocks.com/airforcetheme.html for music and lyrics to each of the theme songs. It is a fun activity to do with your kids.) I am so proud to be an American and so grateful for all the men and women who have fought to defend our freedoms. It has been an eventful week with the election and then celebrating Veterans Day. I've been able to talk to Elsa and Ava about what all this means to them and their future. I hope we all show patriotism and take a moment to express gratitude to live in this blessed country - one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I love the Iwo Jima memorial. I worked a block away from this memorial and drove by it at least twice a day. More than 26,000 U.S. servicemen died or were wounded in the battle of Iwo Jima in one of the most inspiring accounts of American history. I spent a little time reading personal accounts from military officers. Here is one that had both heart and humor.
Doug Barnett's Story
"Iwo was the worst battle. Most of the other battles, when you hit the beach, it went on for maybe a day or two. But this went on for 36 days. You could get killed anytime. Nothing to compare it to. Years passed and I wouldn't talk about this. If you saw as many of your buddies die, get blown up, you don't want to think about that no more ... right in front of you, all around you. When you see a good buddy blown to pieces, what are you going to do about it? And you know that can happen to you at any minute. You have to worry about yourself. When I went back I wanted to look where I was at and see how the heck I ever made it out of here. I wanted to see if this place was real or not. I had a thousand bullets go by me and they didn't have my name on it. I don't know how anybody got off there. When I got home my dad grabbed me and squeezed. He said, 'The good Lord don't want you and I'm stuck with you.'"
So many lives have been sacrificed in defending our country. Thank you.

No comments: