Saturday, November 20, 2010

Potty-trained

Greta is growing up. Three days ago, she woke up with a dry pull-up. I bribed her to sit on the toilet for a piece of chocolate. She hesitated at first, the toilet is cold after all. But then, voila, she peed. She was so excited, and I decided today would be dedicated to potty-training. Now it has been three days without a single accident. Three mornings with a dry pull-up. This afternoon, she ran to me to tell me that she had to go pee-pee. I was thrilled. (I know it doesn't take much to get me excited.) This is a huge step. First, the independence and pride that Greta feels. Second, the money saved from not buying diapers. The only sad thing is that it means my baby is growing up.
Greta Baby, as she calls herself, is my companion. She often sleeps with me at night when Brian is travelling (and often times when he is home). She is my buddy throughout the day. I sometimes go crazy playing tea parties, rolling play dough for the hundredth time, or constantly changing her baby Emma's clothes, but I enjoy our time together. Our conversations amuse me. Her sweet voice. Her pleas for chocolate. The sweet way she says, "thank you, mama."
Greta is smart, very smart. She picks up on body language and is very aware of the people and world around her. She is sensitive and feisty - at the same time. She will hug Elsa or Ava when they are feeling sad or scold them (after I have). I adore her. And she adores me.
You'll often find her in swimsuits, "Dora Boots dance show" nightgown, twirly "dance show dresses", and her "Inker Belle" (Belle from Beauty and the Beast)costume. She does have a closet full of clothes, but prefers 5 things. We'll go to the grocery store with a swimsuit underneath Dora nightgown. I am now that mom. I indulge her quirks - most of them.
She loves Mickey Mouse, Disneyland, and the Disney princesses. She loves for me to read a set of princess books on manners. She has each page memorized. She is a tease too. She'll mix up the character's names, just to be funny. She grins her cute dimpled grin and laughs at herself. She has a sense of humor. I love this about her.
She is athletic - coordinated and fearless. It has led to many bumps, bruises, skinned knees, and stubbed toes, but she recovers quickly and cheerfully responds, "I'm all better now!" She loves band-aids and any "boo-boo" warrants a band-aid. One day I came out of the shower to find a whole box of band-aids opened, and a Greta covered in them. Just for fun. She makes me smile. I wish I could bottle this stage - curiosity abounds, vocabulary and phrases are learned daily, mannerisms imitated. Then there are the melt-downs and the temper-tantrums. But those occur less frequently, thankfully. We are so blessed to have her as part of our family. She is purely delightful.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Thayer said...

sweet. I've got a girl who goes out in swimsuits and nightgowns too, they'd be fast friends.

Robinson Family said...

I love seeing Gretta as she grows up. What a doll! It's fun to see how close your relationship is; Peter and I have become quite the pals during the day too. My kids loved the pictures and were a little jealous that you can go to Disneyland so easily. Fun times.