Monday, June 7, 2010

Field Trip to SB Zoo

 
Elsa and her classmates really enjoyed the show that the gorillas put on. They were chasing each other, beating their chests, and making loud noises - the gorillas did too!
 

 
Elsa is tall, but doesn't have the wing span of a California Condor.
 
Greta was quite a ham and enjoyed being around all the big kids.

I chaperoned a group of kids from Elsa's class on their field trip to the Santa Barbara Zoo. It was the first field trip I was able to attend this year. Sadly, Ava's class had a field trip on the same day, and went to a local zoo. It was hard to decide who to accompany, but Elsa's field trip allowed siblings. Plus, we have a season pass to the SB Zoo, so I didn't have to pay an entrance fee. I will go with Ava's class next year. It was a beautiful day - slightly overcast and comfortably cool. Elsa's class just finished their study on Africa, and the kids were excited to see animals indigenous to Africa. Their favorite animals were the gorillas and lions. They put on quite a show. I think the weather helped. Usually, the lions are sleeping in the hot sun and the other animals seem to exert as little movement as possible. About 20 minutes before it was time to leave, it started to rain heavily...but then it stopped after 5 seconds. It didn't take long to realize that were were standing under a bunch of trees in the bird section. Nope, not rain. Two other moms and I got covered in bird droppings - a lot of it. To say it wasn't lovely is a big understatement. (I don't think birds like me. Once flew in our house the other day and left droppings and feathers everywhere. After these experiences, I think birds are pretty gross.) Overall it was a great way to spend the day.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: