Isn't it beautiful?
Tom helped out by taking lots of pictures to help us remember which house was which.
Greta became attached to her Grandma. She would snuggle in her arms and fall asleep. Tom and Paula helped out so much, especially since Greta was still sick and needed extra TLC.
It has been a busy and crazy month. I returned from my Grandfather's funeral for three days to unpack, clean the house, catch up on laundry, and repack for our house hunting trip to Thousand Oaks, CA. In the middle of all of this chaos, Greta got the stomach flu. So I was also cleaning up additional less appealing messes. I got schedules arranged for Elsa and Ava who would be staying at different people's houses for the week were gone. (Thanks again to all of you who helped out.) Then off we went to California. Brian, Greta, and I arrived to warm sunny weather in the 70's, and it was FEBRUARY! We were met at the airport by Tom and Paula (Brian's parents) who accompanied us for a few days of house hunting and to help with Greta. Wednesday was an early night since we were a little jet-lagged from the three hour time change. We got up early the next morning for an area tour. From 8-11am I was just taken with the warm weather and beautiful scenery. I was almost giddy realizing that we would actually be living here. We finished the area tour and met with our realtor at noon for our first day of house hunting. After we looked at seven or more houses that were 2/3 the size of our current house (or less), with very little yards, and for twice as much or more than our current house, I was almost in tears. This doesn't account either for the fact that these homes, for the most part, needed some serious renovations and upgrades. I was almost ready to turn around and find some way to stay in our current home in Indiana. (I do love it here.) By the second and third day, we had seen some homes that we liked. Our favorites were literally sold the following day. So I guess the market isn't totally depressed in this area of California. I am still recovering from sticker shock. I have spent hours looking at listings, finding house locations from google maps (I love this tool), and searching schools and their rankings. It is overwhelming doing this alone.
Then on top of this, we've had our house on the market. We dropped our price considerably so we've had lots of showings. We've had one almost everyday and open houses every Sunday. (This is good for selling the house, but not for me.) I have turned into a basket case with frequent anxiety attacks from the constant and pressing need to clean and keep clean. I am losing my mind. Really. One afternoon, I thought Ava had disappeared from her car seat. I frantically searched the neighborhood screaming her name. I then knocked on my friend's door, who said, "Don't you usually drop her off at speech right after school on Tuesdays?" Yep, I had totally spaced that I had just done that. Then I actually left my friend's child at school. I went to school, picked up my daughter, and drove to speech. It was then that I realized Katelyn wasn't with us. These are only a few of the things that I've forgotten. I am leaving a path of destruction with my departure. At night, I just drop into bed from the physical and mental exhaustion. Brian has been working in California since our house hunting trip. We all miss him. All of this is so much harder doing it alone. I just hope that a few months from now this stress will be gone. (I really hope and pray that we can get settled soon.) Shortly, we will be together again and enjoying all that California has to offer, even if it is from a small apartment. I find myself torn between wishing this chaotic time away but wanting to savor all that is left of it. I am trying to visit with friends, have play dates for the girls, in addition to organizing, packing, and de-junking. Only one week left! I think I've cried everyday this past week. I am definitely more emotional than Elsa and Ava. They are excited for the beach, Disneyland, and being able to swim everyday. I just hope this experience measures up to their expectations! California, here we come.
16 years ago


5 comments:
I feel your pain. Moving to CA from NC was a similar transition for us. Even though it might feel like it, just remember that the frustration and uncertainty can't last forever. The day will come when you are settled in your new place with Brian home for dinner every night(hopefully) - sooner than later I hope!
Wish we were closer so we could help you and the girls. Brian's a lucky guy to have such a strong woman behind him.
Natalie, hang in there. What happened with us is that we were so excited to be with Bryce and to be in a HOME that we didn't experience the sadness quite to the degree I think we would have otherwise. This too shall pass and trust me, you will come out even stronger from it. Get as much rest as you can, ask for as much help as you need and things will fall into place...really they will!
Wow. I feel for you. I wish we could be there to help. I know you will survive!!!
Just tell yourself this: It will all be over soon!! I did that everyday when I was still in IN and Craig was in UT for 3 lonely months packing with house showing too. Before you know it, you'll be relaxing in the yard while the girls are playing in the beautiful sunny Cali weather.
Post a Comment