Saturday, February 21, 2009

Elsa's 100th Day of School

 

 

I am behind with updates, so I am back-tracking a little. On Friday, January 16th was Elsa's 100th day of school. Her teacher had sent home multiple reminders for the celebration and to encourage parents to help their kindergartner with either a shirt or hat with 100 things attached. Earlier in the week, Elsa and I had planned that on Thursday after school we were going to go to the craft store to pick-out what she wanted to do for this assignment. Brian came home Thursday afternoon from being gone for the week and knowing that I have a propensity to go all out(it is the perfectionist in me), he stated that we were going to "push the easy button on this one." So he joined us on our outing. (I think this was to make sure I didn't falter.) Once at Michael's Craft Store, Brian was suggesting stamps, paint, and then it hit him, 100 letters. First he was going to buy letter stamps, but I didn't want to spend the money. Then he was going to cut out 100 letters with a stencil (remember this was the "easy way"). Then we walked past the iron-on appliques. Brian thought it would be perfect to just iron-on 100 letters - 50 on front, 50 on back. This would have been if the letter packets weren't ten dollars for 34 letters. After spending way too long at Micheal's, we left empty-handed and went to Wal-Mart. Greta was tired, I was tired and had to get to book club. So I ran in, grabbed a $3.00 t-shirt and a 300 qty. pack of buttons for $1.50. I figured for less than $5.00, we could just glue the buttons on. I left for book club and told Brian that this was in his hands to do whatever he wanted. When I returned home four hours later, he was sitting in the chair sewing buttons. He immediately handed me the shirt and said, "It is your turn. You have 23 buttons left to sew-on. I've been sewing for almost three hours." We stayed up past 1:00am. Now Elsa counted the buttons in what, like 2 minutes before bedtime. Then Brian and I combined spent over three hours on the project. I just have to tell this story for all the understated reasons. I have to admit that the shirt turned out to be pretty cute, but Elsa won't wear it again. It is too heavy. I think when Ava has her 100th day in kindergarten, we will have learned our lesson.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

The Bowman Bunch said...

This is hilarious! Bryce and I got a good chuckle out of it. You both are dedicated parents and while Elsa may not wear the shirt again....someday she will appreciate both of your efforts. Now me...I probably would have pulled out a dirty shirt and made sure it had 100 stains on it :0)

Julia said...

I loved your idea of buttons! I would have just hot glued them on...ha ha! We used cheerios, not so creative. It looks like the shirt turned out great!

Thayer said...

very cute, I just wish this post included a picture of Brian sewing the buttons on :)

It's That Simple said...

Love the buttons! How the heck did you have time to do a post?

Hans and Michelle said...

Very funny. The shirt was cute. Ashley wore a shirt with 100 feathers glued on with fabric glue. She looked ridiculous. But it took me 5 minutes. Or her rather. I think she did it. But it makes for a great story.

Melissa said...

Greg and I laughed pretty hard at this story. It's so classic. I hope you save the shirt and have all your girls wear it on their 100th day!

Holly said...

You need to frame the shirt. Maybe just cut a square around the button part and put a mat around it? It could look really cool.

Emily said...

Ney Natalie-I'm so glad to get your comment and to find your blog. Elsa and Ava are so big and Greta is a cutie!! I can't believe you are moving again - what city in CA? I hope the move went well.