Friday, October 28, 2011

Ward Halloween Party

We joined our friends' Ward Halloween party, which is always a fun event every year. They have a variety of chili to try, lots of dessert goodies, and fun activities for the kids including a haunted maze, crafts, and a trunk-or-treat. It never disappoints.
Elsa decided she wanted to be Carmen Miranda so that she could wear hoop earrings. Otherwise, she needs to wait until she is 12 or 16 (depending on which parent you ask). Ava saw a Medusa costume in the Chasing Fireflies catalog and knew right away that is what she wanted to be. I didn't want to pay for the costume and shipping, so decided to make her costume. It was a labor of love, but a fun one. We picked out the snake-like fabric and I made up the pattern since I couldn't find one that was like the costume Ava wanted. I had a friend help me with finishing details and her surger was very helpful with the gold tissue cape. I stayed up until 2am the night before and barely finished the dress in time for the party. I was still hemming it at 6pm with everyone waiting to leave. I was proud of my accomplishment. The costume even has a zipper! Ava was thrilled with the end result, and Elsa asked if I would make a fancy dress for her out of the same fabric. Like one she could wear to church. HA!
Elsa with Charlee and Callie.
All the kids waiting for their turn in the haunted maze.
Greta wanted to be an owl from the moment she saw it at Pottery Barn Kids. My friend's daughter was an owl last year and she lent me the costume. Thanks Andrea! Greta loved putting on the costume and flapping her wings and hooting around the house. Here is Greta with her friend London. It was London's mom, Carrie, who helped me with my sewing project. She is an amazing seamstress, as you can tell from her daughter's exact replica of Rapunzel's dress.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: